Saturday, September 8, 2012

Magazine Coasters


I've always been into arts and crafts. Knitting, drawing, DIY projects --you name it -- these are all things that I wouldn't mind spending hours and hours doing. Over the summer, I happened upon a great book called Playing with Books at Anthropologie. There were some really beautiful paper projects, but sadly, most of them were beyond my level of expertise. However, I remembered this one particular project that seemed doable -- it was making coasters out of recycled sheet music. I decided to try it out and make some of my own out of magazines, glue, and bobby pins. It's fast, cheap and easy. Want to see how to do it?



Step 1: Gather your supplies. What you'll need: A magazine, glue (I just used Elmers), scissors, bobby pins, and a pencil (or something that has a thin cylindrical shape).


Step 2: Find the most colorful pages in the magazine and tear them out!


Step 3: Fold each sheet hotdog style.


Step 4: Fold once more hamburger style.


Step 5: Unfold each sheet and cut along the folded edges. You should end up with four rectangular pieces per sheet of paper. 




Step 6: Using one small rectangular sheet, carefully roll it around your pencil. Be sure to wrap it tightly. When you get to the end, add a thin line of glue and press firmly to seal.


Step 7: Carefully slide the paper roll off of your pencil. Repeat step 6 and 7 for every piece of paper. 




Step 8: Line up two paper tubes next to each other and insert a bobby pin in between. Repeat with both sides. Continue doing the same with each new paper tube you add. (You can also add a little bit of glue in between each tube to help it stick together)



Step 9: Finish with a sealant. (I actually did not do this step, but I highly recommend it, since if you don't, the paper might dissolve/deform if you put a cold/hot cup it). A popular sealant option is Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealant

Tada! Now you have a beautiful and quirky new coaster to protect your furniture and a definite conversation starter when entertaining. Have fun with it! and if you do try this project, let me know how it turns out! 

1 comment:

  1. Shame I just threw out a bunch of old Economist magazines...I could have made a whole bunch of coasters with them (btw this is Heidi in case you didn't know)

    ReplyDelete