Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Day of Medical School


Today was my first day of medical school! After spending the entire weekend listening to the MS2s (2nd year medical students for those who aren't yet up-to-date on the medical school hierarchy lingo) and faculty tell us that 'medical school is like drinking fire from a hose', I was definitely a little nervous about starting classes today. (plus, it didn't help that the very first course we start out with is Biochemistry). But you know what? It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Sure, I got confused a couple times throughout the hour-long lecture, especially when the topic turned to pKa's and acid-base chemistry (the bane of my existence in college, sadly), but overall, the topics were pretty understandable. True, this is only the very first day of classes, so it's not really an accurate measure of what the next two months will be like. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune come next week when we have our first exam -- eeks! 

Here's to not failing out this semester :D 

Also, interesting tidbit, we started out the class today with a lecture from one of the winners of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine -- Dr. Bruce A. Beutler. He was recognized for his research in innate immunity just last year! Do you think this could count as a celebrity sighting? I mean, I know he's no Joseph Gordon Levitt, but his work in the field of medicine is pretty inspiring.

Photo of Woody Allen from filmfanatic.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment